Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2014 new year dawning

January 21, 2014

Lime Ridge, Wisconsin


After losing reliable internet service in June of 2012, I put several of my web-based projects on standby but I'm happy to report that I've reconnected! God willing... 2014 will be a wonderful year of building, growing, and sharing.

Although I did go into an internet-semi-sleep-mode for 18 months, in real-life I have been busy building a flock of chickens and ducks, constructing domes, and meddling in concrete and hypertufa projects. I won't go into detail other than share a couple photos of what's underway now and I'll fill in the past in bits and pieces later on.

Domes

32 foot dome greenhouse waiting for spring...

A 32 foot dome was put up in October, 2013. Construction was placed on hold awaiting spring. I intend to use this dome to grow early produce for the farm stand. In the background to the left is the 16x32 foot hoop-house with the subterranean heating and cooling system. Right now, it is being utilized to shelter my flock of ducks and chickens but seed starting will begin there in a few more weeks. The birds and the seed trays will have to be kept separated. Ha!

Another smaller dome was constructed last summer which will be home to our 'farm stand'. It will also be used to start or house plants when that time comes. Hundreds of flower bulbs were planted around the dome... can't wait for spring to see how it all looks! However, this morning we are entering another polar vortex with temperatures around -6 (6 below zero!) and forecast to fall further in coming days.

Marigold stands in the snow next to 16 foot dome.
 I have two seed trays containing leeks, swiss chard, and a few tomatoes that were started a few days ago, under grow lights in the basement. These were just old packets of seeds I planted as a test run and to push the season as far as I possibly can. Who knows what the weather will be like in February or early March? I might be able to set these plants out in the hoop-house? 

The Future


Today is a back-to-work-day but before that I will prepare some germination tests of some home-harvested onions, beens, and corn seeds. It is my intention to continue to share the activities at Narrows Creek Garden and Greenhouse through this blog and through Narrows Creek Garden and Greenhouse  You Tube channel  I haven't put up any videos there yet but if you are interested please follow. I've been enjoying my new internet access and spent half the night watching You Tube videos on gardening and seed starting. I just love it!  I hope I can share something of what I'm doing that will bring that same joy, ideas, and knowledge to others who share my interests.






1 comment: